churches

Tichborne

Posted by on Sep 11, 2014 in churches | 0 comments

Tichborne

Tichborne is an ancient village which straddles the River Itchen as it passes on its way from Cheriton to Winchester. Before the Norman Conquest it also embraced land which now constitutes the parishes of Cheriton and Beauworth. The Bishops of Winchester were granted these lands by Saxon kings in the 10th century. They established what came to be known as the Manor of Cheriton based at Sevington Manor, Tichborne. Out of this Saxon estate they granted sub-manors, including that of Tichborne. Out of land which they retained St Michael and All Angels, Cheriton came to be erected in the 12th century. St Andrew’s, Tichborne, a Grade I listed building, was founded in the mid 11th Century. It is likely that it was the parish church for the larger parish just described. After St Michael and All Angels Cheriton was built; it probably became a chapel of ease. The Tichborne family, who had held their estate since at least 1135, came to be closely associated with St Andrew’s, and carried out significant additions to it in the early 14th Century. In 1621 King James I permitted Sir Benjamin Tichborne the privilege of retaining the Chantry chapel in recognition of his help in securing Hampshire at his accession in 1603. It thus remains consecrated to the Roman Catholic Communion. It is still used for a special mass by The Tichborne Family and now represents a significant ecumenical opportunity. There are now two services a year when Anglican and Roman Catholic congregations meet for worship. The Tichborne family also have their own (RC) chapel, St Margaret’s, in Tichborne Park.   Services and Worship Each month, two traditional (BCP) services are held at St Andrew’s, plus a family service at 10.30 on the second Sunday of the month. Attendance varies between 12 and 22. Many more attend Harvest Festival, Christmas and Easter services. There are now two services a year when Anglican and Roman Catholic congregations meet for worship (see paragraph above). A thriving Sunday school (SSATSA) meets once a month (not in conjunction with a service). Organised carol singing attracted about 50 people last...

Read More

Church in the Wood

Posted by on Sep 11, 2014 in churches | 0 comments

Church in the Wood

This charming corrugated iron chapel in the woods adjoining Bramdean Common was built in 1883 by Alfred Bishop. It was to provide a place of worship for charcoal burners and other itinerant people who stopped on the common and for those who lived nearby. It is managed by three trustees of the Bishop Charity. Evensong services fortnightly from May to September have an average congregation of...

Read More

Kilmeston

Posted by on Sep 11, 2014 in churches | 0 comments

Kilmeston

St. Andrew’s is listed Grade II and was built in 1772 on the foundations of what the Doomsday survey noted as annexed to Cheriton. Kilmeston has a range of families and retired village members who attend church. It has seating capacity for 100. We are fortunate to have within the village a number of people who want to help finance the maintenance of the church building in the village, even though some of them are not church goers. It is for this group that the Friends of St Andrews was founded. The Friends hold two quizzes a year and a Christmas Bazaar. Funds raised go towards projects which help maintain the church building and keep it as a valued village resource.   Services and Worship There are two monthly services – a Family Service at 11am on the second Sunday of the month, and a Holy Communion Service held on the fourth. We have extra services at Christmas, we hold a Christingle and Carol Service, and at Easter too we have a number of extra service which are well attended and enjoyed by the...

Read More

Hinton Ampner

Posted by on Sep 11, 2014 in churches | 0 comments

Hinton Ampner

Situated as it is, within the grounds of, Hinton Ampner House, All Saints Church has over 60,000 potential visitors a year. Historically it is a grade 2 listed building going back to Saxon times. It was rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 19th century. Although, All Saints has only one parochial service each month, it has been used increasingly for joint services, where its easy access, bright interior and effective heating making it a good worship centre for the whole Benefice and for visitors to Hinton Ampner House. The church has seating for over 100 people, and is often full for these special services. Visitors enjoy seeing two beautiful stained glass windows, the Pillar of Cloud and Pillar of Fire which were installed in 1970. The twin lights represent the Pillar of Cloud and the Pillar of Fire, from the Book of Exodus chapter 13.   Services and Worship Regular services include: Once a month family service, teaching and worship. This is attended by over 40 (mainly teenager children, parents and retired).There is a Worship Group of parents and children with key board and flute led worship. Congregation led prayers, Benefice Communion, quarterly. Christmas Eve service and communion with over 160 people coming to attend the...

Read More

Cheriton

Posted by on Sep 11, 2014 in churches | 0 comments

Cheriton

St Michael and All Angels was built during the 1100.s it is situated on a small hill, almost certainly a prehistoric burial ground. The Church is the largest in the Benefice with a seating capacity in excess of 200. There are 119 people on the Parish electoral roll and the regular congregation at Sunday communion averages 35 adults and 10 children. The congregation encompasses all ages including young professionals with families, the early retired and the elderly. The recent Mission Audit showed the church to be a valuable asset within the community. St Michael’s has a lively All Age service on the first Sunday of each month, an enthusiastic choir, a permanent organist and a peel of 6 bells with an active band of ringers. The fabric of St Michael and All Angels, Cheriton is in good condition having just undergone a renovation programme and the churchyard is maintained by 26 village volunteers.   Services and Worship There is a service every Sunday at 9.30am at St Michael and All Angels church. Services are a mix of traditional and contemporary worship. There is an emphasis on rural life with services including Rogation and the Blessing of the Plough. There is a themed First Sunday Family service at 10.15am, young families, children and the wider congregation gather to enjoy this fun...

Read More

Bramdean

Posted by on Sep 11, 2014 in churches | 0 comments

Bramdean

The Church of St Simon and St Jude is listed Grade 1 and can seat about 120 people. It was built in 12th Century, but with many subsequent additions, particularly in the 19th century. Visitors often comment that “It is a light and welcoming small church”. There is a small bell tower with recently refurbishes bells, an electric organ, many Victorian stained glass windows and two modern tapestries. One depicts “The Tree of Life” which lists all children christened in the village, and the other, a “Village Collage” includes significant buildings and views around the village. The church is located off the main road and away from most houses which is a little unfortunate. New heating and lighting systems have been installed to make it more welcoming.   Services and Worship There are two services are held every month. On the first Sunday a Benefice Traditional Holy at 8.30am, and at 11am on the fourth Sunday of each month a Family All age service. St Simon and St Jude’s also play an active part in the life and worship of the Benefice. We have outside the set monthly services special worship at Easter; Carol and Christmas services, Harvest, and an annual Remembrance service , all of which are well attended and enjoyed by the people of the village, and people from within the Benefice. We are also active in fund raising and have an Annual Fete held in the beautiful gardens of Bramdean House, Bridge gatherings and a Safari Supper. We are a very active welcoming church, who take our worship seriously, and enjoy serving the great community of Bramdean...

Read More