Sale of Cheriton Village Hall

In 2017, contracts were exchanged for the sale of the Cheriton village hall by the church to the village hall charity. Although the hall was built in 1911 on land owned by the Diocese, it has always been a village rather than a church amenity. The village hall charity, St Michael’s Cheriton, and the Winchester Diocesan Board of Finance, all agreed that it would be in the village’s interests that the village rather than the church should own the hall. The hall charity would then be free from ecclesiastical trusts, and enabled to raise money to improve the hall’s facilities for the benefit of the community generally.

The latest negotiation began in 2010, and completion occurred in June 2018. Despite being a long haul, all parties were of similar mind but had to go through some tortuous legal processes including obtaining approval from the Charity Commission. The church obtained the independently valued price of £80,000 raised by many generous donations and fundraising activities.

The village hall charity became a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) to allow it to own the hall in its own right, and take the project forward to the next stage – raising funds for the improvement and extension of the hall – and this is now well under way. Progress can be tracked on http://www.cheritonvillagehall.co.uk.

The whole process has been one of friendly collaboration between church and village to the advantage of all.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.